Friday, July 10, 2009

Barnstable

This is pretty late info but I'm just getting this up and running. I was in the Barnstable area the last week in May and the first in June. The weather was pretty lousy except for Memorial day but we did a lot of fishing anyway. We caught a lot of fish, all on the fly rods, and several keepers. I got a few fish on Deceivers but almost every fish we caught was on some sort of a sand eel pattern. The best fly of the trip was a Clouser tied with huge, heavy eyes so that it was more of a jig. Basically two olive hackles, two striped olive hackles and olive Marabou all tied behing the big eyes. Use red thread and build the head up with epoxy, Hard head or whatever you like. I also fish with a 350 grain line while most of my friends use intermediate sinkers and I always catch more fish. In fact, I used to fish almost exclusively with the intermediate and since I switched to the 350 I catch a lot more fish.
We caught very few fish in the Meat Tunnel and the ones we did get were at the east end. Most of the action for us was at Horseshoe - the north rip on the incoming and the south rip on the outgoing. We also got a bunch sight fishing on the west flat.
We also had one great day at Monomoy on the outgoing. I don't count, but I must have caught two dozen fish, 3 of them over 30 inches, the rest high schoolies. The biggest fish of the trip was caught that day by my winemaker, Stephen Cary. 38 inches. He was on the other side of the bar from me and I could hear him hootin' and hollerin' the whole time he was playing that fish. Good stuff.
I'll be up in Truro the last two weeks in July and I'll try to post everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment